01 02 03 Edge Of My Plate: Saturday Brunch at Top Paddock 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Saturday Brunch at Top Paddock

34
I finally made it to Top Paddock last weekend. After having been to The Kettle Black a few times, which is owned by the same guys, I thought it was about time I gave Top Paddock a go.
Last weekend was the perfect opportunity, my bestie was in town, the weather was nice and we were up early to beat the crowds. We jumped on our bikes and rode along the Yarra to get there. 
There were a fair few people waiting outside but when we put our name down it was only a 20 minute wait which I thought was quite reasonable (funny how you adapt, in Germany I would never have waited 20 minutes for a table for breakfast!).
We were seated at one of the communal table which still gave you enough space to not feel like you were sitting on your neighbour's lap.
We ordered our coffees and two juices and scanned through the menu. 
Blood Orange Juice
My friend Miss M ordered the Gin and Lime cured Huon ocean trout fillet with pickled baby beetroot, potato galette, poached eggs, leaves, goats curd & toast.
Gin and lime cured Huon ocean trout fillet with baby beetroot and goats curd
Gin and lime cured Huon ocean trout fillet with baby beetroot and goats curd
Gin and lime cured Huon ocean trout fillet with baby beetroot and goats curd
Gin and lime cured ocean trout fillet
My bestie ordered the roasted kipfler potato & leek omelette with padron peppers & taleggio on toast with added jamón serrano. I loved the cheese in the omelette, it was melted and had a lovely strong taste, the peppers were a little bit too hot for my, but you can always pick them off. I'm a sucker for jamón serrano so I encouraged my bestie to order it as an extra.
Roasted kipfler potato & leek omelette with padron peppers, taleggio cheese and jamón serrano
Roasted kipfler potato & leek omelette with padron peppers, taleggio cheese and jamón serrano
Jamón serrano on top of the omelette
Mr L decided on the tried and tested blueberry & ricotta hotcake with berries, organic maple, seeds and double cream, which we've had at The Kettle Black before and absolutely loved! 
Blueberry and ricotta hotcake with berries, organic maple, seeds and double cream
Blueberry and ricotta hotcake with berries, organic maple, seeds and double cream
Blueberry and ricotta hotcake with berries, organic maple, seeds and double cream
Edible flowers
I finally made up my mind and chose one of the specials, which was spring broad bean & peas on toast with mint, lemon zest, feta & a poached egg. It was lovely and fresh, very fitting for a spring day.
Spring broad beans & peas on toast with mint, lemon zest, a poached egg and feta
Spring broad beans & peas on toast with mint, lemon zest, a poached egg and feta
Perfectly poached eggs
Everybody let me try a little of their dishes and I have to say everything was really nice! My favourites were probably still the hotcake and the broad bean & pea special. 

I really liked Top Paddock, yes it is one of those super trendy places at the moment but it's a fair bit bigger than The Kettle Black and is very well organised and run, so there are no long waits. I'm glad that they are able to maintain great service and quality of food despite the size of the place. I was a little worried that it's just over hyped and doesn't stand up to the expectations. But it did and I'll definitely be back again.
And the bike ride home was a great way to see Melbourne and peddle off the breakfast! 

Top Paddock
Mon - Fri: 7am-4pm
Sat - Sun: 8am-4pm
03 9429 4332
658 Church St, Richmond
info@thetoppaddock.com
Top Paddock on Urbanspoon

Labels: , , , ,

35 36 37 38