01 02 03 Edge Of My Plate: Lunch in the Sun at The Oaks in Sydney 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Lunch in the Sun at The Oaks in Sydney

34
It's already been a few weeks now since our weekend in Sydney, but I didn't want to miss telling you about The Oaks.

We had initially planned to go to Watsons Bay, but by the time we reached Circular Quay and saw the amount of people waiting to get on the ferry we changed our plans. It was one of the first sunny Sunday's in Sydney and everybody was out and about.
The Oaks is L's parents' local, I can now understand why. We got a table outside under the giant oak tree which looked beautiful with its big branches and fresh green leaves.
When I saw there were different pots of mussels on the menu I didn't have to look further, I knew what I wanted. L had been talking about fish and chips all day so he was set. L's parents both went with pizza.
To start off with we got a dozen Sydney Rock Oysters served with shallot & red wine vinaigrette and also some greasy potato cakes. 
The oysters were fresh and plump, I really liked the red vinaigrette dressing, makes the oysters taste even fresher.
The potato cakes were exactly like they were supposed to be: crispy, greasy and unhealthy, but also very yummy.
L's flathead fish and chips with mushy peas looked delicious, the batter was lovely and crunchy and the flathead was extremely tasty.
The pizzas were the tandoori chicken, mango chutney, herbed yoghurt, cashews & coriander pizza and the king prawns, chilli, basil & garlic oil (usually comes with cherry tomatoes). The mango chutney on the tandoori chicken pizza was delicious and went really well with the chicken and the yoghurt.
I didn't actually get to try the prawn pizza but judging by only the crumbs being left over it must've been very nice too.

My mussels came out in a big pot with the chips tucked into the handle on the side and also some bread and butter. I chose the mussels cooked in white wine and it took me right back to a holiday in France a few years ago. I love having a pot of mussels in front of me and picking the mussel out of the shell with another shell. And once you've eaten all the mussels you can dip you're bread into the delicious white wine broth...
I really enjoyed the food, it was a light meal perfect for a lunch in the sun on a spring day. And as I've said before, mussels always remind me of holidays so eating mussels it almost like a mini-holiday itself.
Given The Oaks is L's parents local I'm certain I'll be back and I'm sure there are many more delicious things on the menu.
They also had a smoothie/ alcoholic drinks stall set up outside where you could order your drinks and watch them get made right in front of you. For the sport enthusiasts there are also big screens in the beer garden to watch the games while you're sipping on your cold drink.
The Oaks
118 Military Rd
Neutral Bay NSW 2089

www.oakshotel.com.au
Mon-Wed 10.00am - 12.00am
Thur-Sat 10.00am - 1.30am
Sun 12.00pm - 12.00am



The Oaks on Urbanspoon

Labels: , , , , , ,

35 36 37 38