01 02 03 Edge Of My Plate: Soup Monday - Celeriac and Fennel Soup 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Soup Monday - Celeriac and Fennel Soup

34
When shopping for the ingredients for this recipe, it was the first time I bought celeriac, but I was excited to try something new. This ugly vegetable looks like something from mid-evil times. It's a big bulb with roots coming out the bottom. but let's not be mean, it's beautiful in its own right.
I even had to ask the greengrocer how to peel it. Because the way she explained it worked a treat, I've included the instructions in the recipe. Just in case, you're a first time celeriac user too.
There aren't many things I don't like, but celery is one of them, so I was a bit sceptic, whether I would like celeriac. The smell that filled the kitchen while I was making this soup was incredible so I was excited to try it. 
It tastes great, like no soup I have ever tried before. It's so creamy it's hard to believe there is no added cream. And the combination of fennel and celeriac tastes almost fruity. It's delicious.
Celeriac and Fennel Soup
(Printable recipe)
40g butter or coconut oil
1-2 fennel bulbs (abt 800g-900g), roughly chopped
1 medium (600g) celeriac, peeled and roughly chopped into chunks
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1.2 l vegetable stock
pinch of sea salt, to season
to serve:
1/4 cup yoghurt
5 rashers speck or bacon, cut into thin strips

To peel the celeriac, cut off the bottom bit with all the roots. Sit it on the now flat side, then chop strips of peel off, from top to bottom. Like chefs would peel oranges, if that makes sense. Chop.

Melt the butter or coconut oil in a large saucepan. Sauté the fennel, celeriac and fennel seeds for 10 minutes. Add the garlic and vinegar, stir a little, and pour in the stock. Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat a small pan on medium heat. Place in speck or bacon strips and stir until crispy. Once cooked, set aside. 
Remove soup from the heat and blend using a stick blender or process in batches using a blender.
Serve with a dollop of yoghurt and some crispy speck sprinkled on top.

Serves 4

Adapted from a recipe from the I Quit Sugar 8-Week Program.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

35 36 37 38