01 02 03 Edge Of My Plate: Breakfast in Singapore - Symmetry 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Breakfast in Singapore - Symmetry

34
It's almost time for me to fly home again, it seems the last 10 days have simply flown past. Before I board my flight back to cold Melbourne I wanted to write about my stopp-over in Singapore. Technically it wasn't a stop-over, but an 8-hour wait between connecting flights. I know Changi Airport is amazing with all it has to offer, but I feel like I've explored every possible corner of it during my many other stop-overs on the way home.
So I decided to take the MRT into town and have breakfast. I was recommended Symmetry in Bugis. The MRT leaves from the airport with only one change in between (at Tanah Merah), so it was super easy for a tired traveller with carry-on luggage!
I arrived in Bugis at 8:15am. In Melbourne this wouldn't matter, but it seems most cafes in Singapore only open at 9 or later!! I tried to walk super, super, super slow, walked through the little streets off the main street, came across the Sultan Mosque and pretty looking houses. But when I arrived at Symmetry it was still only 8:40am...
The staff were already there cleaning the wrought iron tables outside and placing fans along them to provide some relief from the heat. I was allowed to sit down and given some water but was also advised they wouldn't be able to serve me before nine and the kitchen doesn't open before 9:30am. So I had plenty of time to peruse the menu. Symmetry's slogan is 'Music Food Coffee Wine'; it's a brunch place during the day and turns into a bar at night. The first thing that caught my eye on the menu was cold-drip coffee. My salvation!
It was so humid and I hadn't managed to sleep on the plane at all so I felt very much like a zombie. I was sipping my coffee, which was served with a slice of orange (seems I'm not so weird after all with my short blacks with lemon) and watching the tail-less resident cat and listening to cool tunes from the last few years. 
Finally the kitchen had opened and out came my Truffle Eggs Mushroom. I had steered away from the sausages and other delicious sounding things like chipotle canellini bean ragout with my next flight in mind. The scrambled eggs with sautéed mushrooms and truffle salsa on toast were perfect.
I think I must've looked awful, as after I had paid, one of the guys (unfortunately I don't know his name) gave me another cold-drip coffee to take-away for free. I was so grateful! Fed and watered I left Symmetry with it's green shutters and made my way back to Bugis. I loved being able to stretch my legs and getting something else than plane/ uber-expensive airport food during my trip.
A little tip for Changi Airport: the airport offers a transit promotion to eligible passengers travelling through Singapore on Singapore Airlines, SilkAir or Air New Zealand, you can collect a Changi Dollar voucher with an equivalent of SGD$40 to be used within the airport. I had collected mine before departing for Symmetry and was now hanging out for a shower! Changi has several pay-per-use showers and lounges that accept these vouchers. You best ask at the information desk, they can point you in the right direction. For more information on the Transit Program click here.
Having an 8-hour stop-over in Singapore isn't ideal, but luckily it's one of those easy-to-navigate airports and close enough to the city to escape for a quick meal and a shower. I know this wasn't my last stop-over and I'll keep on exploring what Singapore's cafe scene has to offer. 

Symmetry
9 Jalan Kubor #01-01 

Singapore 199206
symmetry.com.sg

Labels: , , ,

35 36 37 38