01 02 03 Edge Of My Plate: Soup Monday - My Mother's Garden Vegetable Soup 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Soup Monday - My Mother's Garden Vegetable Soup

34
I am loving my holidays. Unfortunately I only have two more days left in sunny Germany before I head back to Australia. But I'm making the most of my time at home by cooking with my mother and lying in the sun, reading a book. My idea of happiness. I think I might've said it before, but I LOVE my parents' veggie patch. Just being able to go outside and pick a few things to then make something delicious out of them is perfect bliss in my eyes. I just wish I could have a veggie patch like this, but an apartment in South Melbourne just isn't the right spot for that. One day though...
This soup is one of my mother's staples, there were actually left-overs of the same soup the day I arrived a week and a half ago and we made it again today. She usually just throws in whatever is ready to be harvested.
Massive kohlrabi from my parents' veggie patch
My Mother's Garden Vegetable Soup
(Printable recipe)
1 tbs olive oil
1 medium sized Kohlrabi
handful green beans
3 potatoes
3 carrots
1 shallot
1l vegetable stock
salt & pepper to taste
1 tbs chopped lovage
1 tbs chopped parsley
5 Frankfurter sausages* (optional)
spring onion, green parts only, to serve
Peel and dice the vegetables. In a big saucepan, sauté the veggies (minus the spring onion) in olive oil until softened slightly, about 5 minutes. Add the vegetable stock and simmer on medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes and kohlrabi are done. 
(Optional) Chop the sausages into half a centimetre pieces and add to the soup. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Take off the stove and add chopped herbs. Serve with spring onion.
*As a German, I can say the sausages in a jar from Aldi are the real deal, they are perfect for chopping to put into soups.
My parents' veggie patch

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

35 36 37 38