01 02 03 Edge Of My Plate: Soup Monday - My Mother's Sorrel Soup 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Soup Monday - My Mother's Sorrel Soup

34
I'm currently enjoying a summer holiday at home with my parents in Germany. A nice break from the bleak Melbourne winter. One of the many things I love at my parent's place is their extensive veggie patch.
They grow all my favourites; beans, capsicum, kohlrabi, all different kinds of herbs and sorrel. The taste of sorrel always brings back images of my childhood. When I was at kindergarten I remember picking wild sorrel on a field behind the kindergarten and eating those tangy leaves straight after picking. They are delicious! 
And my great-grandmother, grandmother and mother all made sorrel soup for us kids, with chopped hard boiled eggs on top. So of course I was very excited when my mother suggested we make sorrel soup today. It's super quick and easy to make and only takes a few ingredients, but the soup is super tasty.

My Mother's Sorrel Soup
(Printable version)
150g sorrel
30g butter
50g plain flour
1l vegetable stock
100ml cream
salt & pepper to taste
2 hard boiled eggs
A handful of parsley, finely chopped

Wash and finely chop the sorrel. In a big saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Sauté the sorrel until wilted, stir in flour, continue to cook until slightly browned. Then add the stock, stir and cook on high heat for 10 minutes. Stir in the cream and bring back to the boil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve the soup with chopped hard-boiled egg and parsley. 
Serves 4

Labels: , , , , , ,

35 36 37 38