01 02 03 Edge Of My Plate: Soup Monday - German Beef and Leek Soup 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Soup Monday - German Beef and Leek Soup

34
I've been a little absent from the blog lately, life 1.0 has taken over and I'm currently buried in paperwork. For thos of you who follow me on Instagram, you might have seen that, just because I'm busy, it doesn't mean I'm not eating. Oh no, I always find time to eat! 
But since it's been two weeks since my last post I've taken a break from the real world and would like to bring to you the recipe for one of my favourite soups. It's true comfort food. Creamy with bits of minced beef, leek and bits of potato. Just one of those perfect combinations that are the best food for one of these cold Melbourne nights. It's one of those soups that my mother has made for years and I just can't get tired of. It's not a "lean" soup, but which comfort food is ever really healthy? It's like a warm hug in winter though. (Is it just me or does this winter seem endless?!)

German Beef and Leek Soup
(Printable Recipe)
500g minced beef
2-3 leeks, white part only, cut into 0.5cm slices
2 potatoes, peeled and diced into 1 m cubes
1.5l vegetable stock
300ml sour cream
200ml cream
1/2 cup grated cheddar
salt, pepper and nutmeg

Brown the mince in some oil in a heavy-based pot, add the leek and potatoes and saute until lightly browned.
Add the vegetable stock and bring to the boil. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are cooked. 
Add sour cream , cream and cheese, stir well and bring back to a boil. Season to taste and serve with some crusty bread.
Serves 4.

I"ll get back to my paperwork now... and will continue dreaming of this soup, it's one of those where when I close my eyes I can imagine the taste. And get even hungrier!

Labels: , , ,

35 36 37 38